As per Hindu Astrology, there are in total samskaras in the life of a human right from birth till his death and in this sequence of samskaras, baby mundan ceremony is an important ritual. In simple words, it is the baby’s first hair removal ceremony which has its own significance. Not only it is a religious activity but there are scientific reasons behind mundan.
In this post, we have complied everything you need to know about the importance of this Hindu ritual of baby first haircut. Know about the right age of mundan along with best mahurat, mundan ceremony procedure and its significance in a person’s life.
Significance of Mundan Sanskar in the Life of a Person
Mundan Sanskar is one of the most important of the 16 sanskars and therefore, it has strong influence on the life of a person. Here are some significant points related with it:
- It is the ritual which teaches a child to maintain cleanliness.
- Strengthens the nerves of the brain.
- Helps in better hair growth.
- Keeps the head of the child cool in summers.
- Helps in easing the pain due to teething.
Mundan Ceremony Muhurats
Astrologers suggest that mundan ceremonies must be performed in the odd years i.e. 1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th years of child’s birth. As per Hindu Astrology, even years are considered inauspicious for performing mundan sanskar.
- The best time to perform mundan for elder daughter or sun is when Sun is on Taurus sign
- Do not perform mundan for a child below 5 years of age if the mother is pregnancy for more than five months.
- 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 7th, 10th, 11th or 13th lunar days of the month are very auspicious.
- Tuesday, Saturday and Sunday are considered inauspicious for performing mundan. Rest all others are good days to perform this samskara.
- Do not select the day of birth of child for mundan. If your child was born on Wednesday then you must avoid Wednesday.
These are some of the points which must strictly be kept in mind while planning mundan ceremony for your child. Keeping these points in mind will ensure that the sankar happens at the right time and your child enjoys a happy, prosperous and blessed life. So, make sure that you seek help from a priest to have the best mahurat for mundan for your child.
Importance of Mundan as per Hindu Astrology
Mundan is a very important ceremony as per Hindu Astrology. Given below are some of the points that highlight its importance:
- Shaving of head triggers intelligence in a child and because his intelligence develops most during the infant years, mundan is performed in initial years of a child.
- It is believed that a soul gets a body of a human after experiencing 84 lakh different yonis. Shaving of head helps in purifying the soul from the effect of the previous yonis a soul has been through.
- Protects the child from the evil eyes.
- It bestows the baby with a long and happy life by killing all the negativity surrounding him.